The Last passenger steam train ran with C57-135 during the 14th of Dec 1975,
after that the other freight trains were also gently replaced with diesel engines.
The JNR Hokkaido Directorate announced
".... steam engines regular service on the main line will close during 24 December on the Yubari line ...."
it was 2 days ahead of the original schedule.
On the 24th of December, six D51s were remaining for main line service at Oiwake depot ...
they were No. 241, 397, 465, 603, 916 and 1086.
Some of Yubari line's trains were already replaced with diesel engines after 14 December.
As a result, the last day of the 24th of December would see four steam freight trains
(Two up-trains, and two-down trains) scheduled.
On the 24th, more than 200 reporters and Rail-Fans packed Yubari line.
But this was in sharp contrast compared to previously on the 14th of December's 20,000 people.
At 2:50 p.m., a small ceremony was held at Yubari station.
D51-465's engineer and stoker were presented with a bouquet of flowers.
At 7:10 p.m., the day's last train and absolute Japanese last main line steam pulling engine departed from Yubari station
with D51-241's long drawn out mournful steam whistle.