D52-468 was manufactured at the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Co. during Feb 1946 as serial number 502.
D52-468 was chosen for the reason, that D52's No.468 was the last number in class D52.
But in reality, there was not a total of 468 engines made.
The original plan called for a total of 498 engines to be manufactured.
But WW2 ended midway of the manufacturing process.
Therefore a total of 285 engines were produced up to the wars end in 1945.
When manufacturing stopped number 468 was the last number.
After its appearance, the D52-468 went into the Tokaido main line, and later moved to Hokkaido during 1961.
Since then, D52-468 was used on the Hakodate and Muroran lines,
Goryokaku depot between Hakodate and Muroran (Washibetsu), until moving to Umekoji Museum.
During November 1971, it was billed as the " Onuma Special Event " train.
It was the last passenger service rendered by D52-468 ....
After it's arrival at Umekoji, D52-468 was placed on inactive preservation status during it's
beginning, but was later dropped as a restored engine on 28 March 1979 on paper.
Consult please Class D52