One of the imported first electric locomotives for electric arterial lines.
After WW1 ended during July 1919, industrial developed arterial line electrification was approved for the national policy in a Cabinet meeting.|
Japan's electrified sections were only in a few of Tokyo's urban lines and on the steep sloped Usui pass section. It was first decided that the following three lines would be inaugurated. They were between Tokyo and Odawara on the Tokaido line, Ofuna - Yokosuka on the Yokosuka line, and Hachioji - Kofu on the Chuo line. As a result, between Tokyo and Odawara, Ofuna and Yokosuka, electrification construction was started during September of 1922. However, the Great Kanto Earthquake halted construction during September 1923. Construction was resumed during April 1924, and it was completed during December of 1925.
Prior to the electrification, electric locomotives were imported from several companies in a piecemeal fashion. As a result of the above, comparison in regard to domestic production of electric locomotive development was possible for future domestic electric locomotive planning.
Most of these electric locomotives were active on private railways until the 1970's.
Imported electric locomotives up to 1928 were as follows ;
Of these imported electrics, the largest group was Class 1040.
Class 1040 had a total of seventeen engines and were imported from the English Electric & Co., and it's manufactured numbers were 534-550 during 1924-1925. (mechanized parts were made by the North British Locomotuve Co Ltd.) Class 1040 engine performance was not good, but they were the most active models in comparison to other groups.
After their appearance, they went into service on the Tokaido and Yokosuka line as passenger trains.
Later, Class 1040 were renamed to Class ED50 No.1-17, when class names were revised during 1928.
All of ED50 were transferred to Chuo line between Hachioji (Asakawa) and Kofu, when section electrification was completed during April of 1931.
During 1931-1933, the ED50 were converted to the freight model with a gear ratio modified, and were renamed the ED17 No.1-17. They were transferred to the Kofu depot, and were used for freight train service continuously on the Chuo line.
Two ED17's (No.17 and No.16) were altered with a relieved axle load (0-4-4-0 (B-B) to 2-2-2+2-2-2 (A1A+A1A)) for use on the light grade line Iida line during March of 1953, and were renamed the ED18 (2nd generation of Class ED18) No.1 and 2.
They were renamed to Class ED52 No.1-6 during 1928. ED52 were used on the Tokaido and Yokosuka line as passenger trains.
After the electrification of the Chuo line, ED52's were moved to the Hachioji depot during 1930. And they were active on Chuo line's passenger train service between Iidamachi and Kofu.
During 1931-1932, ED52 No.4-6 were converted to the freight model with a gear ratio modified the same as ED50, and were named the ED18 (first generation of Class ED18) No.4-6.
ED18 No.4-6 were remade to standard modern parts and transferred to Class ED17 No.19-21 during 1950.
The first generation of ED18 No.3 was altered with a relieved axle load (0-4-4-0 (B-B) to 2-2-2+2-2-2 (A1A+A1A)) during March of 1953, and were named ED18 (2nd generation of Class ED18) No.3.
ED52 No.1,2 were used as passenger trains for a while, however during 1943, they were also converted to freight models with a gear ratio modified much like other passenger models.
Class 6000 No.6000-6002 were also imported from the English Electric & Co with North British Locomotive Co Ltd. and it's manufactured numbers were 681-682. No.6000-6002 had a deck, so their appearance was differentiated from other ED17 series.
They were renamed to Class ED51 No.1-3 during 1928.
ED51 were used on the Tokaido and Yokosuka line passenger train service, and were moved to the Hachioji depot when Chuo line was electrofied during 1930.
During WW2, December 1943 to March 1944, ED51 were also converted to freight models for war time freight transportation when train service volume was increased, and were transferred to Class ED17 No.24-26.
Class 1030 No.1030-1031 were imported from the English Electric & Co with Packett & Sons Co Ltd. and thier manufactured numbers were 529-530. They were renamed to Class ED13 No.1-2 during 1928.
ED13 were used on the Tokaido and Yokosuka line freight train service, but they were also moved to Hachioji depot when Chuo line electrification began during 1930.
ED13 were remade with standard modern parts and were transferred to Class ED17 No.27-28 during 1950.
On the Chuo line during pre-WW2, ED17 were mainly used as freight trains between Hachioji and Kofu by double headed operation, and ED51 and ED52 were used between Hachioji and Iidamachi's passenger train service and partial freight train service.
After the war, unified ED17s were continually active on Chuo lines freight train electrification with the exception of No.23 and 25 which were war-damaged.
But ED17 gave way to the more modern performing ED60 and ED61 for Chuo line operation, and the ED17 was turned over to branch-lines Minobu, Iida, Yokosuka and Senzan lines. ED17 disappeared from Chuo line after 1965.
Remodeled from the ED13, ED17s No.27 and No.28, and remodeled from the ED52s ED17 No.21 and No.22 were moved to the Sakunami depot on the Senzan line.
And they were retired and scrapped from Senzan line's AC electrification during September of 1968.
Remodeled from the ED51s ED17 No.24 and No.26 were active on the Yokosuka line, and were retired and scrapped during December of 1970.
Remaining other ED17 and 2nd generation ED18 were retired from Minobu and Iida lines during 1970-1972.
Preserved engine ED17-No.1 (1924 - 1970)
The ED17-1 preserved at the Railway Museum arrived in Japan on the 1st of May 1923, and it was named Class 1040 No.1040, and underwent much testing.
After her test run, she was deployed to Tamachi depot and began passenger train service on the Tokaido line between Tokyo and Odawara. No.1040 was renamed to Class ED50 No.1 during 1928.
During 1931, she was moved to the Chuo line and was remodeled as freight model ED17 No.1.
She was active as a freight train on Chuo line until the new model ED61 appeared during 1959.
Afterward, she continuously stayed at Kofu depot, but she was on the branch line of Minobu freight, later she was retired on the 30th of November 1970.
After her retirement, ED17-1 was preserved at the Maizuru-Jyoshi park in Kofu city.
Later, she was transferred to the JR-East Omiya workshop and remade into her present condition during 1997. During October 2007, she was exhibited at the Railway Museum.
Class ED17 No.ED17-1 Biographic Data Chart
Go to Top|