C12-164 was manufactured at the Nippon Sharyo Co., serial No. 464 on the 12th of September 1937,
and it's first deployment was to Kamisuwa depot in Nagano prefecture.|
After WW2, she worked mainly on the Ube and Asa's west Honshu area.
During March 1973, she was moved to the Kiso-Fukushima depot,
and later she was retired on the 20th of September 1973.
Afterward, she was transferred to the Oigawa Railway, and was preserved at the Senzu yard.
C12-164 occasionally fired up the engine, and saw service as a short-range restored steam train.
It was two year, before, the Oigawa railway began steam train full services with the C11-227.
During February 1987, C12-164's ownership was changed to the Japan National Trust,
but the engine's maintenance and service was continuously operated by the Oigawa Railway.
During May 1987, C12-164 was overhauled, and main line full steam train service began from the 25th of July 1987.