D51-1 was manufactured at the Kawasaki Rolling Stock Manufacturing Co., it's manufactured No.1643 during 1936.|
After its inception, the D51-1 went onto the Tokaido main line,
and later moved to the Chuo-East line between Kofu and Nagano after 1950.
After electrification of the Chuo-East line, D51-1 was turned over to the Tohoku line northward
in Morioka, and Aomori depots.
During the electrification of Tohoku line during Oct 1968, it remained in Aomori depot but ran line service on the Ou line.
But also when Ou line was electrified during Oct 1971, it was moved to Sanin line
Hamada depot for a short period of time,
until moved to Umekoji.
During the 100 year anniversary of Japan's Railroad opening in 1972,
D51-1 was active mainly on Kansai line's special event trains.
But, later D51-1 was dropped from it's restored engine status on the 28th of March 1987.
Now it is only on exhibition condition at Umekoji.
Consult please Class D51