8630 was manufactured at the Kisya Seizo Co. manufactured No. 129 during 1914,
and was active mainly in the Kanto area.|
When she left from the Kanto area, her primary operation was yard work in Mito, Taira area.
And lastly, 8630 pulled Mito-Taira's "Good-bye to Steam loco" train between Mito and Takahagi during Mar 1970,
together with the double headed D51-946.
It was moved from Taira depot to Hirosaki depot during 1970,
and was active on the Gono line until moved to Umekoji.
After it moved to Umekoji, 8630 was retired from restored line operation in March 1979,
after that it's operation was limited to the museum yard up to the present time.
No. 8630 was chosen for the reason, that it had the earliest number in class 8620 during 1972.
Early model of class 8620s other than the 8630 were almost all retired by 1965.
Consult please Class 8620