1929 - 1951|
A middle-sized Tank-Engine for yard work.
At Goi depot on the Kominato Railway. May 1971.
A total of seventy-two class 5500 4-4-0 tender engines were imported from the Beyer Peacock and Co. from the U.K. during 1893.|
Of these, a total of ten engines were reconstructed to 4-4-2 tank engines during 1929-1930, from the Ministry of Railways Omiya and Hamamatsu works, and were named B10.
After its remodeling, B10 were restricted to yard work.
Afterward, B10-4, 6, 9 and 10 were sold to private Railway companies. The other remaining B10s with JNR were used until 1951, mostly in the Kanto area.
Thereafter, B10-1, 2, 3 and 8 were retired by 31 January 1950, and the last B10, B10-5 was retired in 1951. They were scrapped by 1951.
Of these sold to private railway's, the B10-4 (ex-5507) was moved to the Army Railway in 1936, and was later moved to Kominato Railway Co. after WW2 in 1949. The B10-4 was retired during 1951, but the company kept that engine in it's own Goi depot, and later it was preserved at the Goi depot.
|Primary ran line in last 10 years||
Hachioji, Chiba, Oi, and Higashi-Yokohama.
||Last line/depot and year ||
Oi works 1951
||Restored engine (2017)||
||Preserved engine (2017)||
B10-4, at Goi depot.
B10 was reconstructed
from this class 5500 Tender engine.
No.5540 in Ome Railway Park. Nov 1971.
Go to Top|