Steam Locomotive
Class 110



No. 10







Names during the 3 year period 1876-1909
(Photo credit to Railway Museum)

Yorkshire Engine Company's No.10, it's manufactured number was 614.

It would appear that No.10's engine performance was not particularly satisfactory. Christy's report also mentioned that "No.10 was not in very good condition, the more it was checked, the more troubles were found ... No. 10's performance could not be relied upon at all."
No.10 gained a bad reputation from Christy. Interestingly enough, No.10 was not greatly remodeled during her life. It would seem that if it's condition was not good.....remodeling would be a natural outcome.

Tokyo area's engine numbers were changed to odd numbers during 1876. So, No.10 was changed to No.3.
During November 1880, No.3 was moved to Osaka area with No.1, and it was used on the Kobe - Otsu as part of the Tokaido line.
During April 1885, it was moved back to the Tokyo area, and was used on the Yamanote line for the Nippon Railway Co. Afterward, it was used for Tokaido line construction. After completion of the Tokaido line, No.3 was returned back to Shinbashi -Yokohama, and it was used for yard works at Shinbashi etc ....


Names during the 3 year period 1876-1909
(I.W.collection)
During 1906, it was renamed to class 110, No.110 from the class name revision.
During those days, it was again moved to the Osaka and Nagoya area. No.3 was exhibited during the 50th anniversary of railroads in 1922.
Lastly, No.3 (ex-No.10) was retired during December 1923, and was moved to the Omiya works.

During WW2, Omiya's exhibition pavilion was burned down by an air raid, but fortunately No.110 escaped the fire.
After the war, No.110 remained in a dilapidated condition in the chaos of postwar. During 1951, a small shopping area was built at the Omiya works. This was a set up of a few stands inside of a stationary small train car. No.110 was set ahead of this train. And painted on the left side tank, it read ' Omiya works Train Town Mall '.

Afterwards, No.110 was designated a Railway Monument during October 1961. When selecting a historical steam locomotive during the 90th anniversary of railroads in 1962, No.110 was selected because of its historic value. And No.110 (ex-No.10) was improved upon and was preserved in the Ome Railway Park.


Biographic Data Chart No.10

1871 : Manufactured, Yorkshire Engine SN-164
Oct 1872 : First railway opened, Engine num as No.10
1872 - 1880 : Service, Tokyo - Yokohama area
1874 : Renumbered No.3
1880 - 1885 : Service, Kobe, Osaka area
1885 ? : On lend to Nippon Railway, Shinagawa - Akabane
1886 : Construction service, Ejiri, Tokaido line
1887 - 1899 : Service, Yokosuka, Tokyo area, Taketoyo Nagoya area
1894 : Class renamed ; Class A, No.3
1898 : Class renamed ; Class A2, No.3
1901 ? : On lend to Hokkaido Gov. Railway
1906 : Substituted heating boiler at Shinbashi.
1909 : Class renamed ; Class 110 No.110
Feb 1918 : Safekeeping in Omiya works
Dec 1923 : Deregistered JGR, and exhibited Omiya Works Museum
Jan 1950 : Exhibited "Train Town Mall Omiya"
Oct 1961 : Designated as a "Railway Monument"
Oct 1961 : Moved to Ome Railway Park.


Configuration 2-4-0 Dimensions Length (mm) 7188
Engine Weight (Operating tons) 23.01 Driver size (mm diameter) 1245
Boiler pressure (Kg/cm2) 7.7



Ome Railway Park's No.110 (ex-No.10)
on the left during 1971


Opened right side
Ome Railway Park, 1970

Ome Railway Park 1966


Introduction
Go to Top